Tuesday 3 July 2012

Get out of my inbox (reprise)

I don't actually like to start my day with a rant.  It never bodes well for the rest of the day.  It's far better to get through the day and if it's still bothering me then get it off my chest.  It does get more and more difficult to maintain a rant-based blog when you get you grievances out in the open and feel the door nicely swing shut on them.  This one though, I don't think it will ever stop boiling my blood.

I know retailers are having a hard time of it right now, but there's a reason for that.  We're ALL skint, not just them.  I know the same emails go out to all customers but here's the thought. I might have bought a product once in the dim and distant, perhaps in the days when everyone laughed because shopping online was a really geeky thing to do.  The thing is, there are very few retailers that I use again and again.  Most of the things I buy online are one-off obscure purchases that will never be repeated.  I still get every single email from that company along with all their other one-off customers.  Does this not reach a saturation point for everyone?

When a retailer starts emailing me every morning, it's a little too clingy, a little too samey and dare I say a little too desperate.  The only message any of us wants to hear every morning is the one from our brain saying made it through another night.

Would it not be better customer relations to at least split up the mailing list so that the emails arrive less frequently?  I don't mind hitting delete even as often as once a week per retailer.  Once, sometimes twice, even thrice daily though?  If they were phone calls or knocks at the door, I'd have a case for harassment.  I know it's not a major hassle to delete an email.  What bothers me is the sheer persistence even after I've unsubscribed and I don't believe I ever selected that 'yes give my details to everyone you know' check box, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

If only one-off purchases resulted in one-off emails and that check box really worked.  Instead what happens is a message arrives that says something along the lines of  'You are receiving this message because you bought an obscure little thing nine years ago from our dubiously related auntie's dog's company and they sold you out'.  Unsubscribe?  Ok, but we'll still email you pretending to be a completely different company because we think you'll never notice.  Which prompts me to scream once again, get out of my inbox!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what say you?